Friday, October 1, 2010

Reflection


This picture was taken from the website: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_tqy4jJBa2DM/
TFg2JlPtefI/AAAAAAAAAYw/qaaEGkupGzc/s1600/thinking-outside-the-box.jpg
 I love being in this class for the sole reason that I feel like I am finally learning something useful. This is the point at which we have enough foundational knowledge from core concepts to apply it what we encounter in the everyday world. My future career goal is to be a pediatrician, so it is very important to me to learn about developmental diseases, how the develop, why they occur, and how they can be treated. What better class to cover all these topics? Learning about gametogenesis and the difference between mitosis and meiosis in males and females has also helped me in my Genetics class. I am able to understand, now, why mutations occur, as well as the effect they have on an individual. It is nice to learn about an entire concept, especially through the use of two classes. I learn best by writing things down, which includes both visual and audio learning. Taking notes and doing the various assignments for this class, especially since they have been in paper format up to this point, have been very helpful for me. I am working on incorporating other learning styles into my learning, but this has worked for me so far because this is what I have encountered. The two most important things I have learned about so far are spermatogenesis and oogenesis. Understanding how, when, and why these processes take place is key to understanding the development of some diseases, as well as the seeing the large number of mutations that can occur along the way. The ethical side of these processes becomes confusing for me, especially concerning genotypes of individuals. If there is a mutation somewhere in development and an individual ends up with three alleles instead of two, I am still confused as to how society should treat this person, mainly with isues concerning their personal rights. I need to study this more on my own to decide on these issues and take a clear stance on them. This class has opened my eyes to the world around me. Individuals with physical disabilities now peak my interest rather than scare me because of the nature of their disease and how it developed. It automatically becomes a new research project. This has opened my eyes to my future as well. A lot of individual research time will benefit me because I will no longer be ignorant to these issues. I will, instead, be aware and informed of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment